- Hit List
- Documentation Project
Defending advocacy and dissent: a long-term strategy
Friday, October 21, 2011 - 15:00
In recent years, successive governments have not respected our right to free speech, or the responsibility of public institutions to share what they discover. Instead, Canadian organizations and individuals who disagree with the government have been attacked, muzzled, censored, marginalized, and bullied. Institutions for knowledge and research that shed critical light on the government's actions have been abolished, sabotaged, undermined, and weakened.
Join us, in solidarity with the conference Indignez-Vous! Hope in Resistance, for a discussion about strategy to defend our rights to dissent, advocacy and democratic space in Canada.
- What are the concerns regarding possible violations of our rights to dissent and advocacy in the next 4 years?
- What has the Voices-Voix documentation project so far told us about violations to human rights and the health of our democratic space?
- How can we use our vast collective network to bring our research to the wider Canadian public, and mobilize Canadians to hold their government accountable?
- Christian Nadeau, author of Rogue in Power
- Pearl Eliadis, human rights lawyer
- Darren Shore, Voices-Voix communications
- Where: Room "Viger A", Hotel Marriott Château Champlain, 1 Place du Canada, Montreal, QC, H3B 4C9.
- When: Friday, October 21st, 3pm-5pm (6pm for those who can stay), leading into Indignez-Vous's free public forum.
- Open to: Members and allies of Voices-Voix member-organizations. (Closed to the media.)
- Price: Free. No pre-registration required.
- Languages: English and French.
- Questions: 514 982 6606 x2294; or by email.